Signs and Symptoms of Depression
We see and hear a lot about depression. Actually, as I write I see a anti-depressant medication commercial on television. Everyone has ups and downs in mood, but, how do you know that it is depression? Here are some signs of depression:
1. Hopelessness. It's more than the problem at hand. With depression, it's about having a feeling that nothing will get better and there is nothing you can do about it.
2. Loss of Interest in Daily Activities. Maybe there are activities and/or hobbies that you used to enjoy. Do you still find enjoyment from those activities? Or, have you lost the ability to find enjoyment from those things? If you have a hard time finding enjoyment in activities you once enjoyed, you might be suffering from depression.
3. Anger and/or Irritability. Feeling angry or irritable is often a symptom of another problem. With depression, your temper could be short and things can easily get on your nerves. Anger and irritability is a symptom of being unhappy.
4. Fatigue. Do you find yourself to be tired and/or physically drained? With depression - normal everyday tasks can be tiring and draining.
5. Low Self Esteem. If you experience strong feelings of guilt or worthlessness, you may be suffering from depression. If you harshly criticize yourself for a fault or mistake, it could be a sign that something else is going on.
6. Concentration Problems. Trouble focusing, making decisions or remembering things are all signs of depression.
7. Appetite Changes. If you notice a significant weight loss or weight gain - it may be due to a change in appetite.
8. Suicidal Thoughts. If you are thinking about suicide, you likely have depression.
There's help for depression. I would be happy to see you in my office and help you get the help you need, call and make an appointment: 612.889.7517. If you are reading this and you are not in the Minneapolis-St. Paul Metro Area, you can find a therapist in your area by going to www.psychologytoday.com, click on "Find a Therapist." If you need to talk with someone right now, call 1.800.273.TALK.
1/13/2023 10:03:48 am
Lovely blog, thanks for taking the time to share this.
Leave a Reply.